LED stands for light emitting diode. LED lighting is 90% more efficient than incandescent light bulbs according to ENERGY STAR.
LED lighting is desgined in way that allows for greater efficiency. They emit light in specific directions with a purpose, where other lighting such as CFLs and incandescents emit light in all directions.
We strongly recommend that you choose ENERGY STAR certified LEDs. You might be surprised to learn that not all LEDs are ENERGY STAR certified.
ENERGY STAR means high quality and performance, particularly in the following areas:
- Color Quality
- 5 different requirements for color to ensure quality up front and over time
- Light Output
- Light output minimums to ensure you get enough light
- Light distribution requirements to ensure the light goes where you need it
- Guidelines for equivalency claims to take the guess-work out of replacement
- Peace of mind
- Verified compliance with more than 20 requirements to address performance and labeling
- Long-term testing to back up lifetime claims
- Testing to stress the products in operating environments similar to how you will use the product in your home
- 3-year minimum warranty requirement
And as with all ENERGY STAR products, certified LED bulbs are subject to random testing every year to ensure they continue to meet the ENERGY STAR requirements.